The Utah Core Standards Initiative is a state-led effort to establish a shared set of clear educational standards for English Language Arts and Mathematics. These have been informed by the best available evidence and the highest state standards across the country and globe.
Why Core Standards?
- Core standards will help ensure students are receiving a high quality education consistently from school to school and state to state.
- We need college and career ready standards. Data shows that even in high-performing states students are graduating and passing all the required tests and still require remediation in their post-secondary work.
- We need students moving from our colleges and universities into the workplace, ready to compete in the emerging global marketplace.
How were the Utah Core Standards developed?
- The Standards made careful use of a large and growing body of evidence. This evidence included scholarly research; surveys on what skills are required of students entering college and workforce training programs; assessment data identifying college and career ready performance; and comparisons to standards from high-performing states and nations.
What are the strengths of the new Core?
- Aligned with expectations for college & career success.
- Consistent across all states.
- Includes both content and application of knowledge through high-order skills.
- Informed by other top performing countries, so that all students are prepared to succeed in our global economy and society.
- K-12 Language Arts
- K-12 Mathematics
Grade Level Core Brochures
- Kindergarten Core Brochure
- First Grade Core Brochure
- Second Grade Core Brochure
- Third Grade Core Brochure
- Fourth Grade Core Brochure
- Fifth Grade Core Brochure
- Sixth Grade Core Brochure